Wednesday 1 June 2011

Autumn Mess


There are so many reasons why I love and hate autumn.  I love it for the beautiful display the trees put on.  The vibrant reds, oranges and yellows in contrast with one another really transform the streets.  And the lasting warmth of the sun shining through the colourful leaves creates a very homely and reassuring atmosphere. 

These reassured feelings, however, are short lived.  The warmth that filled me with fondness quickly turns to bitter cold and the trees with their beautiful leaf displays turn to dark and twisted figures, their contrast against the dull sky gives them an almost menacing appearance.  Even with all the joys of early autumn I harbour an unsettled feeling that with it brings the insidious cold of winter. 

Most of the trees in my neighbourhood, especially my street (Plane Trees), are deciduous so the lovely autumn colours turn, yearly, to a big leaf mess.  There are leaves everywhere.  The roof and gutters need constant clearing to prevent drainage issues.  The lawns need to be constantly raked to avoid turf death.  The water tanks need to be cleaned to stop them filling up with leaf litter.

As I have noted in my previous blogs, I love to mulch and this is the perfect solution to the autumn dump.  Every year I get out the Greenfield mulcher and make light work of autumn’s not so welcome offering. For me mulching is becoming the solution to all of life’s problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment